Monday, July 17, 2006

Donna Martin Gradumates

Recently eaten: cheese danish, more meatballs
Recent annoyance: this article

Advocates push for simpler spelling

"Those in favor of simplified spelling say children would learn faster and illiteracy rates would drop. Opponents say a new system would make spelling even more confusing."

Okay, now hold the phone. Sure, I understand that the English language has more exceptions to the rule and spelling can be a challenge. I would have had a much easier timie in math class if the numbers added up tot what I thought they should be rather than what the sum actually was. No, let's not blame illiteracy rates on low education budget spending, and let's not pay teachers any mor than they need to live in refrigerator boxes behind the cafeteria. Let's just make the spelling easier.

These simplified spelling advocates even picket spelling bees! Have these people no shame? What about our deaf friends? Doesn't it seem, insensitive to say, "well, why don't you spell it the way it sounds?" Oh, right, you can't hear, silly me.

If I can't tell someone to spell ICUP, I have no reason to go on.

p.s. I need a shower.

No comments: