Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Cause For Akonfusion

Recently eaten: ravioli, rotisserie chicken
Recent annoyance: people who refuse to move to the back of the bus (for space, not racial reasons)

I have many guilty pleasures that I will readily admit. I love to watch music videos endlessly. I am an avid fan of Star Trek: The Next Generation. I read cuteoverload.com.

Now I am ready to admit to my latest guilty pleasure: the music of Akon. Something about that nasal voice and all that hooting and hollering gets my feet tapping.

How Akon Became a Star
"Gangsta fatalism is such a rap cliché that it's difficult to take seriously—especially when it's delivered in Akon's plaintive little warble. Hard-boiled has never sounded so soft."

"The other day, I was walking in a Lower Manhattan park, when I heard a familiar melody blipping out of a nearby phone. It was the singsong refrain from Akon's "Smack That," and I had to admit, in this robotic version, it was sinisterly catchy: I felt it burning, burrowing into my brain, earworm style. Just then, a group of college-age guys walked by and burst into the song's chorus, singing the tender words that every girl longs to hear:

I feel you creepin', I can see you from my shadow
Wanna jump up in my Lamborghini Gallardo
Maybe go to my place and just kick it, like tae-bo
And possibly bend you over, look back and watch me
Smack that, all on the floor
Smack that, give me some more
Smack that, 'till you get sore
Smack that, oh oh"

No comments: