Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Going to the Head of First Class

Recently eaten: sooooooshi
Recent annoyance: chapped nose from blowing it so much, not drugs

With my own fondness for perfect skulls running deep in my veins, I was touched by the story of this woman in Miami. Maybe all this head-rubbing has kept me from serious harm all my life. Granted, I prefer the skulls to be attached, but I guess I shouldn't be too picky.

Woman charge with smuggling human head
"A Haitian national who packed a skull in her suitcase on a flight to Florida's Fort Lauderdale airport was charged Friday with "smuggling a human head."

U.S. prosecutors said they also charged Florida resident Myrlene Severe, who was arrested Thursday, with failing to declare the head on a customs declaration form and transporting hazardous material. The skull had "organic matter" on it, they said.

"Severe stated that she had obtained the package, which contained the human head, from a male in Haiti for use as a part of her voodoo beliefs," the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Florida said in a statement.

"Severe also stated that the purpose of the package was to ward off evil spirits," the U.S. attorney's office added.

While 80 percent of Haiti's 8.5 million people are Roman Catholic and 16 percent Protestant, more than half also say they practice voodoo, an Afro-Caribbean religion whose roots go back 6,000 years or more in Africa.

Each of the charges carries a maximum punishment of five years in prison."

No comments: